Every year on Earth Day we’re all reminded to look for ways to become more efficient, less wasteful, and more considerate of how our actions impact our environment.
If you’re looking for ways to become a little greener, check out the tips below:
Did you know?
Ticor has taken the steps necessary to earn a Green Certification for each of our Title & Escrow locations in the Puget Sound region.
We’re proud to be the first operation in the FNF family of companies to achieve complete green certification in our marketplace.
- Don’t print e-mail attachments! Save important files in an organized file structure on your computer hard drive for easy future reference. You’ll save paper and office space!
- Check your printer settings. Some studies have reported that resetting basic printer settings can save the average user 1,400 pages of wasted paper a year. You can also set the printer to print on both sides by default, further reducing paper usage. Check the manufacturer website on your user manual for details on changing your printer settings. Also, always use “print preview” before printing to avoid printing unusable pages.
- Send faxes directly to E-mail boxes. Faxing directly to a recipient’s inbox as opposed to their fax machine is an easy way to eliminate wasted paper.
- Recycle your office paper. If you have sheets of paper printed in error or no longer necessary, consider running them through your printer on the unprinted side for proofs and personal use.
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room if you’re going to be gone for more than 30 seconds. Put timers on lights if you have kids who forget to turn them off.
- Recycle! Some cities do, but if your city doesn’t, consider separating cans, glass, plastic, and paper and take it to a recycling center every month so that it is not such a chore. Have the kids help so they get used to the idea.
- Try to buy local foods whenever possible. Food that has to travel a long distance is not “green”. If you don’t have access to much local produce, or if you’re not sure, try to buy from a local Farmer’s Market if you can. It will be green as well as fresh.
- Go with rechargeable batteries when possible. Be sure to properly dispose of your used batteries – they must be recycled.
- Close your curtains! Heat and cool air loss from older windows can be substantial and the sun beating in the windows will warm the house causing the A/C to come on and work harder.
- Don’t leave the water running while brushing your teeth.